Alcott School Ministry
What is the Alcott School Ministry?
In the fall of 2006 we began a partnership with Louisa May Alcott Elementary School in Pontiac to provide literacy tutors in the lower elementary grades. Since then we have placed tutors in all the grades with additional support to the English Language Learning program and the resource center for the emotionally impaired. In addition, we expanded the program to Pontiac Middle School. The following are some of the ways our relationships grew and involvement was extended last year:
- Began a writer's workshop for which each child in the school wrote and illustrated a book and saw themselves as authors
- Continued with the literacy tutors in each of the classrooms providing individualized and small group instruction
- Enabled 30+ children to attend The Lion King at the Fox Theater
- Provided funding for therapeutic performing arts therapy (music and art) for both children with special needs as well as gifted students twice each week.
- Purchased on-line support materials for the teachers
- Camp Skyline provided 20 Scholarships for Alcott students to attend camp and gave each child basic camp supplies including a sleeping bag, duffle bag, pajamas, and toiletries
- Provided small gifts for appreciation to the Alcott teachers at least twice during the school year
- Hosted a holiday coffee for the teachers
- Donated sweatshirts from our Advent by Candlelight offering
- Staff the sixth grade classes with tutors as sixth grade classes have moved back to teh elementary schools
- Place ten tutors in five seventh grade sections and begin a partnership with Pontiac Middle School
- Fund and participate in field trips to Cranbrook Science Museum and a fourth grade day trip to Lansing
- Establish an on-going Writer's Workshop lab staffed by volunteers
- Send therapists from Variety FAR Conservatory to provide art and music therapy
- Provide warm coats, new socks, and clothing for children who are lacking adequate clothing
How You Can Help
- Literacy tutors are need to work with children one-on-one or in small groups. No experience necessary; an introduction tot he program and training are provided. Contact Kathy Nyberg for more information.
- Volunteers are needed for the Writer's Workshop lab to work with children of all ages
- Volunteers are needed to provide special treats during the year for the teaching staff
- Pray for the children of Alcott and Pontiac Middle schools, their families, their teachers, and the volunteers who are involved in this ministry